Thursday, January 28, 2021

Solve the mystery of The Persistent Stranger

 

(redacted to protect writer)

It all began on the 20th with a text and a picture from a number I don’t know.

     “I didn’t take very good care of it, but I still have it”

     I ignored this, thinking the writer would at some point realize they had the wrong person. And that was it, until last night. There I was, all settled into an old episode of Vera when my phone pinged.

     “Its 9:00”

     “I’m sure you are sleeping like a baby. Just so you know, you are on my mind constantly. Constantly Tom. How do I ”

     All this pinging was getting annoying. Here was Vera stumping around Northumberland, hot on the heels of a murderer, being interrupted by this confused stranger. I decided it was time to engage. I wrote, “I think you have the wrong number.” No reply to that; instead, more mysterious anguish.

     “I’m going to say it. I can’t loose [sic] a sibling. Selfish, yes. Promise me Please. You will fight like no ones [sic] ever fought before. Promise me Tommy.”

     So, dear readers. What was the story?

     (FYI, I’ve blocked the number from any future contacts.)

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Marty! Thanks for commenting on my blog this morning. I used to be a regular reader of your blog but somehow ... lost it along the way I guess. Glad to see you are still writing.
    I’ve had some mysterious text messages also and I see a whole story forming in yours. I’m sure your writer mind is going a mile a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have kept me awake (and wondering) for the rest of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How mysterious! I don't blame you for blocking the person, but I wonder if it would be worth texting them once more to make absolutely clear that you're not who they think you are...? It sounds like they're trying to preserve a relationship, although they'd have much better luck if they could figure out how to work a phone. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is indeed a bizarre set of texts. I have no idea what the story is or was, but I truly get why you blocked that number! I guess it will always remain a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is the effect of the WTF Moon doing its worst!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have done the same, block that number. Somebody is seriously wacko.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your own little mystery. You'll have to play detective and solve it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a sibling, I think the texter is probably a woman though I can't figure out how the engagement notice figures in. maybe Tommy's fighting covid.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.