Friday, August 7, 2020

Post Storm



This afternoon I ducked into a convenience store in town to replace the half gallon of milk I’d poured down the drain.
It was $2.99, I handed the guy $3.00 and never saw my penny, which he dropped right back into the register. That’s one way to slowly add to the coffers, but I didn’t say anything. He didn’t know, but I taught his son in high school in the International Baccalaureate program – very rigorous. I was very fond of the son, who was made to work in the store from 5:30 am till he left for school and was rarely given time to do homework. Fortunately, son got away, worked his way through college and is fine now if Facebook is any indication. Still, if the father feels he needs his penny more than me, fine.

          I dumped a jug of milk down the drain thanks to Isaias, who came roaring up the East coast from the tropics this week. We were lucky compared to many around us. We only lost power for 24 hours, coming back on line Wednesday afternoon. Some areas around us, though, are still in the dark. We kept busy listening to my very cool wind-up emergency radio I’d bought on a whim years ago and doing a crossword puzzle by lantern light. The next day we spent the morning buying ice and taking periodic drives to charge the phones.  All I lost was ice cream, said milk, some cottage cheese, mayonnaise, and a pound of hamburger I’d had thawing. I drove it to a public trashcan on one of my trips; I couldn’t imagine how nasty it would have made the garbage can in 85+ degree weather. It’s surprising how difficult it can be to find a public trashcan when you need one.

          Our fire alarms are hard wired, with battery backup, and the battery (with a 4- year life span) had last been changed in 2016. Wednesday morning the control panel began chirping. Wonderful. Never mind house flies – Mamie is so terrified of smoke alarms that the last time one went off, she was still shaking the next day. Really. Every time I took her outside Wednesday, I had to physically carry her back into the house since she refused to come.

          The good news is that the nice alarm man came and dropped off a new battery that day. Also, nothing fell on the house, it was summer so we weren’t cold, and all the food in the freezer was saved.

          And Mamie finally relaxed enough to lounge outside in the debris.
           

8 comments:

  1. Poor Mamie.
    I am very glad to hear that you (and she) got off relatively lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping the penny--how odd. It certainly cannot be the coin shortage. Laundromats only run on quarters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know you only lost a bit of food. And poor Mamie, she doesn't like change or loud noises, obviously. She's a cutie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you came out of it unscathed! I feel sorry for the "boy" you were writing about. I suppose he must have had a good work ethic. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago, I had an elderly neighbour, (now in a nursing home) who gave me a wind up torch in case of blackouts. It never did work, but I always have a supply of batteries on hand for a lantern and a radio.
    I'm glad you survived the storm with only dairy goods lost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't do pennies here anymore. We round off. If it's 2.97 we pay 2.95. If it's 2.98,, we pay 3.00. We are glad of this. This is juts for cash transactions, of which there are fewer and fewer, especially now, when it is easy to wave your card at a machine that to handle coins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad about the dairy, but a small price to pay overall! (As you say.) I guess that shopkeeper is so used to people refusing their pennies that he doesn't even ask anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Canada. our registers round up, unless you are paying by debit card, then the exact amount gets taken.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.