Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Slow Food


I need to learn how to make Peking duck.
Or maybe a five-layer wedding cake. Now that we have all these hours at home to fill, I need something more labor-intensive.

          I have too many good, but quick, recipes, and time is weighing a bit heavy lately. This week’s menus would have been just fine on those days I was rushing back from, or on my way to, an event. No rushing is happening around here. These days the dog gets nervous if I walk too quickly from one room to the other.

          Case in point: tonight’s dinner is spaghetti carbonara and last night it was a sheet pan assemblage of chicken, eggplant, garlic cloves, and red onion all roasted together. Half an hour later you’re eating.

          Broiled swordfish and bacon: pile red pepper bits and bacon on top, broil. Dinner.

          I do have a new one waiting in the line-up that I found in the newspaper. It’s basically spanakopita, but made in a cast iron skillet. With a name like “Quick Spinach Skillet Pie” though, it looks like I’ll be out of the kitchen way too soon.

5 comments:

  1. I like slow cooking. I find it meditative, but rarely make the time.
    Making curries from scratch (including the paste) is always a winner. You have nudged me back to the kitchen. Tomorrow.
    A quick version of spanakopita? Report on it please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I'm not at all hungry, reading your menus made my mouth water, even if you don't need lots of time to prepare them. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To my mind, slow cooking is the stuff I put in the slow cooker and let it cook itself all day until dinnertime while I do other stuff. I used to love spending almost a whole day cooking dinners and desserts, but not anymore. There's only me to eat them, so it's too much food, plus I've got a teeny tiny kitchen with an electric stove which I hate and it can't be changed. So quick meals it is, unless I drag out the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want "slow" recipes that take some careful preparation, take a look at old cookbooks. The assumption then was that women had all the time in the world. (Ha!) I have some old cookbooks from my step-grandmother and it's crazy how much intricacy some of those dishes required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. I still actually use a couple of recipes from my mother's 1942 Ladies Home Companion cookbook.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.