Saturday, March 28, 2020

Closing the Door


      Today at Pet Food City Mamie (in a high state of excitement at being somewhere, anywhere, other than our house) and I were met at the door by a friendly person in gloves.
I was allowed in to a 10-foot section cordoned off by the register and a second person disappeared to get the brand I’d requested. Experiencing this validated my plan to purchase not one, but two bags of dog food. Today they might be meeting me at the door, tomorrow those same doors might be locked shut.

          So we’re set in that department for at least a month or two.

          Good thing. Yesterday I pretty much hit the reality wall. I had sallied forth for another go at finding hand sanitizer and wipes. Two Dollar Generals and a Walgreen’s later, I realized this was absurdity at its best: Going out looking for sanitizer and wipes was the only reason we needed them, so the very effort of acquiring them was what was putting us in danger.

          The deal was sealed at the grocery store where a woman who was standing much too close, but who I had thought was about to move, sneezed. No more than a foot from where I was standing. I relived this moment as I fell asleep last night, and again at 3 a.m. this morning.

          That’s it. Outside of rides in the car, walking the dog, and bike rides, I’m in.
 


      
    On a happier note, here was a surprise I found when out walking Mamie. Looks like the cardinal in our pine tree back home is a snowbirder, too.

10 comments:

  1. Our stores are reinforcing the social distancing by making you stop and wait until you are called to approach the register. That sneeze would have done me in. My last bus ride was pretty awful, with a scruffy guy with a coffee cup (I don't think it was coffee) lurched down the aisle and fell right in front of me. He just laid there, so I got up and moved and got off at the next stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing a cardinal would make my day.
    Mostly our stores are good at enforcing social distancing. Mostly.
    Stay well, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sneeze would be scary. I hope she at least covered.
    We are strictly isolating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So scary. Did she sneezze into her arm?? I go out once a week to shop and just a few times to the P.O. Everything else is a walk in the park...literally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stores here are enforcing social distancing, too. I am appalled as you, and hope it was just the usual disgusting close range sneeze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One has some necessary reasons to get out but when some idiot sneezes it is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sensible of you to realise you don't need those things if you don't go out. I wish others would think of that instead of clearing the shelves in the stores here. Not me. I haven't touched hand sanitiser since I worked at checkout. There's just no need for it, plain old fashioned soap and water is my defence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope she at least covered her mouth with her shirt sleeve, as is recommended! Why was she so close to you?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obliviousness? And why did I allow her to be?

      Delete
  9. Stay safe! Sounds like a close encounter! Yuck :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.