Monday, July 30, 2018

(Reality) Check, Please!


No one could say that useful trait of denial ever dodged my family. I remember my sister’s starry-eyed rendition of “I Enjoy Being a Girl” for her 7th grade talent show – in spite of her very modest vocal skills.

          Or maybe it’s not denial, but cheery optimism that kept us plowing forward, regardless of the multi-colored Vegas-sized warning signs along the way.

          Years ago, when my husband fell, tearing every bit of his quad muscle from his kneecap, and breaking the other leg two weeks before our long-anticipated week at Cape Cod, I saw no reason to cancel the trip. Sure we could go! The house we’d rented was all one floor, after all. . . . How I envisioned our trips to the beach I can’t recall, but we did end up canceling.

          Tomorrow we should be leaving for three days with our daughter and her family not far from the National Seashore, in Eastham.

Except we’re not.

          I spent last Tuesday in the Emergency Room, clutching my stomach, never to feel fresh air again until Friday afternoon.

          Acute Pancreatitis.

          This made little sense. I had spent that morning in my aerobics and strength-training class, marching, reaching, waving weights about. Then home for lunch, and off for my afternoon eye appointment. That was where things started to go south, but I had company coming the next day and so soldiered on to the grocery store.

          I barely made it home. After My Guy and I determined it
wasn’t the noontime romaine, and it wasn’t going away anytime soon, we jetted to the ER. Cat Scans, four days of IV, an ultrasound, graduating to a liquid diet, and then finally home on Friday.

          But would you believe – of course you would – that I was sure that I’d be in travel-worthy shape by this week. I mean, all I was going to do was sit on the beach. . .

13 comments:

  1. here we are minding our own business doing all the things that are supposed to keep us healthy and strong and bam. I'm nursing a sore muscle from shoulder to elbow which I fear is a torn rotator cuff. haven't the foggiest notion of how it could have happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have all my sympathies.
    My eldest brother was ferried by ambulance to hospital a week before a planned overseas trip very recently. Until two days before the departure date (still in hospital) he was insisting that they would go. Sadly departure day went by with him still incarcerated in durance vile.
    I hope your recovery is swift and you do get some beach (and family) time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are on the mend. That really does sound scary! I wouldn't want to be too far from my doctor with that kind of recent history. Wow! :-0

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your recovery is rapid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear!! I don't really know what pancreatitis, but it doesn't sound like any fun at all! Clear liquid diet (that likely doesn't mean white wine, does it?) I'm sorry you're feeling poorly and I hope you recover quickly. Rotten timing. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another delightful detail - any alcohol could bring it on again.

      Delete
  6. Now I have to know what brings on acute pancreatitis and what symptoms to look out for.
    I do hope you feel much better by now and it doesn't return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much watching for symptoms as getting hit by a freight train when it arrives.

      Delete
  7. It does seem that sometimes we set ourselves up for disaster--or rather, the Practical Joke department hears of our plans and thinks, "I don't think so..."

    I'm glad you're feeling better. Maybe next week for the beach.

    One thing I noticed about ghastly events like this, or even less ghastly ones like bronchitis (which I slept through last winter), is the older I get, the more willing I am to just let the meds work, do what the doctors say, and sleep. Vacuuming can wait. We have enough dishes, and thank Gott for canned goods, and sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Things can come upon us so suddenly, like my one kidney stone attack early last year. One minute I was fine and then ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my yes.
      I remember telling the nurse that this was worse than childbirth because at least in labor you got a respite in between contractions.

      Delete
  9. Oh, yikes! So sorry to hear you're going through this! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that was a shocker. I am so glad you are recovering but still marvel at your optimism. I'd go but would predetermine where the nearest ER is just in case.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.