Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Finite Mind



In a span of 36 hours we’ve gone from fanning ourselves on the porch like Scarlett O’Hara to huddling in front of the gas fireplace. And why not? It’s June in Massachusetts, after all.

          So this called for desperate measures, i.e. wearing shoes again. Unless I’m doing some serious walking, I’m a sandals girl. What with proudly sporting a bunion plus having really big feet, finding comfortable shoes can be a challenge.

          My trip to the Land of Twins yesterday demanded shoes.  I have one pair that I love deeply: not-quite-sneakers and presentable enough to go anywhere. And very comfortable. I can walk all day in them without my big toe banging up against the end or Mr. Bunion notifying me that he’s there.

          But where were they?

          Closet? Nope.  In the shoe bin under the bed? Nope.  In the back of the car? Nope  In the big container of boots in the basement? Nope.

          Gone.

          The issue is that these are a primary element in my life and I had no idea what I did with them. Why couldn’t I remember?

          During the hour and a half ride back from Twin Land the explanation was made clear to me as I sang along to the 60s station.

          I sang along with Dusty Springfield, The Cyrkle (remember Red Rubber Ball? I did), The Buckinghams, Lesley Gore (You Don’t Own Me), and groups I didn’t even know the name of.

One-hit wonders, chart toppers.

I knew every word of every song. Every word.

Mystery solved. How could I possibly keep a grip on where I’d put my shoes with a brain filled to the brim with lyrics from 1965?

10 comments:

  1. Did you look under the stove? You were cooking, last we knew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really big feet? Difficulty finding shoes? Sister across the seas.
    There is a wonderful Farside Cartoon. His usual dorky child at school has his hand up 'May I be excused? My brain is full.'
    I hope your precious comfy shoes rematerialise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn! Now "You Don't Own Me" won't leave my head. Could be worse, I guess. Hope you find your favorite shoes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remembering all those lyrics is impressive, but I think I'd prefer to remember where my favourite shoes are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if only I could empty out, say, the lyrics from 1964 to '66 I'd then have room for the locations of shoes and car keys.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like it is time to go shoe shopping and get two pairs of comfortable shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not that far from Maine in Ottawa, yesterday morning saw me wearing a heavy, woolly hoodie -- in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. perhaps they're in Florida. I've had Runaway stuck in my head for a week! out ear worm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I do remember "Red Rubber Ball" and it's among my iTunes! I am always amazed at how well putting something to music helps us remember it. (Like Conjunction Junction.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.