Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Learning Curve


Last week was my maiden voyage with a local women’s golf league. Not pretty.
Not only did I not score my age, I didn’t even score the age of the majority of the residents in the local assisted living facility.

 Let’s just say that hitting 30 strokes more than your partner could be a sign that your game could use some improvement. Remember in golf the idea is to get the lowest score. And what somehow made it a hundred times worse that day was everyone was so darn nice about it.

          So for the past two days, in self-disgust, I’ve marched off to a nearby small course to practice by myself. The grass looks like it’s been mowed by attention-deficient sheep, and the benches have lost their paint; in fact everything there looks a bit down at the heels. But the good news is that anyone who can actually play the game is somewhere else. No golfer worth their salt would be caught dead there. So at 9:30 on a weekday morning I have the place pretty much to myself.

          I didn’t see a huge improvement, although by the second day my game looked a bit less like a bocce competition and I did get a fair amount of exercise.

          Tomorrow I have to go back to the Big Girls League for more humiliation fun, but I have hope. I just bought some magical new tees that I’m sure will make all the difference.

          And at least I’m not the young man in the adjoining batting cage today who was there with two young ladies. I may feel a bit self-conscious at times playing golf, but it can’t be as bad as the pressure of being a teen trying to show off and being out-hit by two attractive girls.


         

11 comments:

  1. Good luck! I only tried golfing once and it was no fun. My sister plays, but she struggles. I don't see the appeal myself. But practice is the only way to get better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope to improve. When it goes well it can be enjoyable. It's a good excuse to get out in the fresh air and if the 80+ year old women I've played with are any indication, it's something you can do for years and years.

      Delete
  2. Is this your first venture into golfing, or have you played before, but are just a bit rusty. I can play mini-golf (mini put, whatever you call it). It is best that I don't try "real golf". I barely make contact with the ball! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I began about 4 years ago and haven't played for a couple of months, so yes, rusty. Rusty as the Tin Man after a rainstorm. After a monsoon.

      Delete
  3. I hope you get better and better. That's all I know; I don't play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get better at it. Me? I wouldn't even try, I don't like sports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck. Some golf courses are really pretty but I have less than no inclination to play.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just have fun with it,Marty. There is usually someone around who will gladly help you with your swing, or your aim, or to just duff around with. Golf is a social game, much like Bridge, (and least it's supposed to be) and half the fun of any shared sport is the companionship, more than who wins.
    I've never played, but I used to watch a LOT of it on TV, and the overweening sense I got from it all is, even among pros, just have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It didn't work out for me but I wish you luck. It can be fun but if you use carts--there isn't much in the way of exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never got very good at golf but never played enough either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never played golf in my life so, if it's any consolation, I'm sure my score would be worse than yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.