Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Truth and Fiction



     My family always watched its fair share of television.
We were never daytime TV people and paid no attention to game shows or soap operas, but once prime time arrived we were ready and waiting.

          My father, a government analyst with a Masters from Princeton, loved The Honeymooners and Sid Caesar. My grandfather, a geologist with Sun Oil Company, faithfully watched Gunsmoke every Sunday night. We may have sat around the dinner table arguing about the correct pronunciation for “medieval,” but network programming was just fine with us.

          It may be my upbringing, or a reaction all those nights when I always seemed to be working on a degree or grading papers, but now an evening in front of the boob tube is just fine with me.

          Last night we watched Madam Secretary, one of our favorites. If you haven’t found it yet, I recommend it. It’s well written and acted. It also draws from current events quite often. The main character, Tea Leoni (who is excellent), is the Secretary of State for Keith Caradine, who plays the President.

          Last night focused on the 25th Amendment as Caradine became increasingly bellicose and unreasonable, triggering nuclear brinkmanship with Russia. Since they had to wrap everything up by the end of the show, all was resolved after a bit of nail-biting, but the events were close enough to our own reality to give pause.  

8 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of that show. I'll have to check it out -- if I can get it here. We just finished "The Sopranos" so we'll be in the market for a new series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just finished the season of Night Manager on Amazon Prime. Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston. Really, really good.

      Delete
  2. TV was not allowed during dinnertime at our house. it had to be turned off even though it was in a different room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still the rule here. Unless it's pizza night.

      Delete
  3. I need to get back into the habit. I have a sweater to finish knitting, another to start. For two years, now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't get a television at all until late, and it was firmly turned off duing dinner. It is a habit I have never acquired. Madam Secretary sounds interesting but perhaps a little to close for comfortable viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Madam Secretary! Unfortunately it's not on our screens right now, nor is anything else worthwhile, the time slots are taken up by seemingly eternal tennis and cricket matches, so I've returned to watching dvds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard it's good. Right now I'm watching season 1 of This Is Us and loving it. There is so much good stuff to watch that it's downright overwhelming. I wish I had more time. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.