Sunday, September 4, 2016

Sanctuary



Our household is about to experience a seismic shift.

          Today we’re opening our door and our hearts to someone in need of a witness protection program.
She’s acquiring a new name, and by Friday, stylists will even create a new look for her.

          Kristy – soon to be Mamie, if we’re successful in our transition – is coming from a troubled home. After living there for the past five years, it’s become untenable for her. After advice from professionals, research on the internet, and several attempts to resolve the situation, a rivalry between her and her sister still couldn’t t be extinguished.

    
      Here's a family portrait of Kristy and her family unit in calmer days. 



          Bottom line, her sister Maggie Mae is pregnant and the hormones there are running wild, to the point that the two females can’t be in the same room.

Her owner is beside herself.

          Originally, we were scheduled to adopt one of the puppies from that litter, but are instead adopting Kristy.

          Yesterday was a flurry of Amazon ordering and trips to Home Goods for dog beds and poop bags and toys and then to Lowe’s for stubby-dog fencing.

       We then spent the afternoon struggling to insert said fencing into our stony back yard while beating off the mosquitoes who were thrilled we were out there.
      The rest of the day we sorted food bowls, did a bit more Amazon shopping, and finally collapsed on the couch.

     

    This morning she arrives at 11:00 and our latest adventure begins.


    

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Bless you, Joanne, for remembering Satchel. Best cat ever on the planet.
      If I could only find a cat that could travel in the car for two days to Florida, I'd get it.

      Delete
  2. sweet. Let me tell you. having to house train a puppy is for young people. it's like having a baby in the house. so an adult dog is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sooo excited for you! She is just beautiful. I like the name Mamie. She looks like a Mamie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beauty Mamie is! Good Luck to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you have taken the plunge and glad it is not a puppy. I adore other people's puppies but prefer an adult dog for the sake of my rugs, shoes and important papers. The adventure begins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet thing you're doing. I'm sure she will bring you tons of joy. And a bit of hassle, but what the heck, what's life for anyway? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very exciting. Agree with the other commenters that an adult dog is the best choice. I can hardly stand being without a pet. Mamie is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, what a cutie! I am sure she will enjoy being an Only Dog and a wonderful new family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's beautiful and I'm sure she will feel at home in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo hoo! Welcome to the world of dog ownership! I'm glad you could provide a home for the poor displaced pooch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll write a proper update soon, but thanks for all the encouraging words, everybody! Very helpful.
      Last night as she searched the house for her previous -and much loved owner - and occasionally howled and cried, I thought "Uh,oh. Was this a terrible mistake?"
      But she slept quietly through the night on my bed, which is more than I can say for me. I see afternoon naps in my future, but the morning looks brighter.

      Delete
  11. Weeelll, this is going to be fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It will be an adjustment...my only suggestion is to pick a name that kinda sounds like her old name:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.