Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Tuesday



     

     I’ve been looking forward to the emptiness of today.
I’m going to schlep around in sweatpants, ignore my hair, and leave my face free of make-up. Well, okay, maybe some concealer under my eyes so my husband doesn’t start eyeing the mail lady. I’m not even going out for gas, even though today is 20% off Tuesday at our local filling station.  

          I must have pre-cognition because it’s 8 degrees outside and no one in their right mind is going anywhere they don’t have to.

          I began by lazing in bed for an extra half hour and finishing my latest library book, a completely mindless piece of bubble gum by Janet Evanovich. I’m also reading When Will There be Good News by Kate Atkinson, and although like everything of hers, it’s beautifully written, as the title suggests, it doesn’t leave you convinced that God’s in his heaven and all is right with the world. I’m approaching it in small forays.

          I’m supposed to be writing. This is the only chance I have between now and next Monday evening, when my writing group meets to share what we’ve accomplished since the last time.

          So far, I’ve re-written several sections – so much more fun than actually thinking up what the character is going to do next. I need to get to the end of Chapter Five, at least three pages.

          I’ve

- checked for comments on the blog.

- played several games of Spider Solitaire (I freely admit to being addicted)

- folded laundry

- pulled some hamburgers out of the freezer for dinner

- watered houseplants

- read John Gray’s latest, Steve Reed’s latest, left a comment with Miss Henny Penny.

- and written perhaps one new paragraph



          This could be a long day.


14 comments:

  1. It's the weather; makes procrastination easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rewriting is such fun--seriously.
    Considering 8 degrees, i think you have accomplished a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I love Calvin. While being grateful I don't have one in my life.
    I hope your loooooong day treats you kindly. And that your paragraph blossoms into pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Calvin, I'm convinced that he and Hobbes may hold all the answers to the universe. Love Kate Atkinson, just finished A God in Ruins and I still don't know if God is in his heaven and that all is right with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, your day won't be empty! You've got all kinds of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My lazy days are behind me for a couple of months at least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's that writer's block, I'm convinced. Put it on the front porch for awhile, that should help. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah....got the same temps, sort of. It was a minus 19 over the weekend, warmed to the 20's today. As of 7:30pm I've barely schlepped today. Quick store run, beans on the stove, added the ham an hour or so ago, garlic and spices much earlier. I expect I'll be thinking 'bout dinner in an hour.
    It's what retired is about, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans simmered with ham? Perfect for this weather.

      Delete
  9. I used to have long, lazy Tuesdays, then I committed to something on Wednesdays, now all the things I used to do on Wednesdays have to be fitted into my Tuesdays and Thursdays. I still manage to sleep in, or at least stay in bed, but once I'm up and properly awake it's all go go go. For at least a couple of hours anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Well, I'm happy to be an element of your procrastination but GET TO WORK. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did manage to crank out a few pages. It does take a while to get the brain in gear.

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness! Here I was reading along enjoying your post, as usual, and there I am, Miss Henny Penny! Thank you! I am so flattered that you, being the writer that you are, would mention a little chicken like me. Seriously, thank you. You are so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? You have a fan here in Massachusetts!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.