Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A Change for the Better?


Boy, my friends are dropping like flies. Well, maybe that’s not the best metaphor for the fact that I’ve just had a second person I know move away for a retirement life elsewhere.
Last night was my monthly book club gathering. Or at least that’s what our small group of six calls it. In reality, we spend more time determining what we’re going to read next than we do discussing the actual book a month later. We all (to the most part – life can get in the way sometimes) faithfully read whatever that month’s choice is, bring our copy of it to that meeting’s living room, and place that copy next to us where it sits while we swill wine and solve the world’s problems. Our record for a sustained literary discussion is about fifteen minutes.
Yet, this gathering has its value. These are not all people I would see in the course of a typical week, and so I look forward to spending an evening with them. We are all of a certain age and share the common bond of having been educators. Also, the majority in the group have known each other since high school, and in some cases, earlier than that.
Last night had an underlying melancholy. This was to be the last time one of us would be there – she and her husband have sold their home of thirty-something years and are moving to a less expensive life in Florida – and the goodbyes were filled with finality.
As I drove home I thought about how most people connect change to the young: growing up, experiencing things for the first time, building families and careers. When we are young, if we are lucky, change is our friend.
The later part of life is regarded by the world as one of stasis; it sees elders as unchanging, sitting on the same couch in the same living room with the same opinions, interests, and lives.
In reality, those sixty and beyond see nothing but change. Incomes shift, our health fluctuates - we have so many adjustments to make. These changes aren’t necessarily all negative ones, but good or bad, the later part of our lives requires more flexibility of attitude and spirit than most people realize.





12 comments:

  1. And don't we become more inflexible with age?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there are many changes for seniors. I write about it once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful C&H. Life does go on. My BFF is moving to Georgia. All I asked was if she picks up at the airport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you're losing her, but perhaps the good news is that now you have an opportunity for travel. Maybe you can schedule it for when winter in your neck of the woods gets to be too much.

      Delete
  4. I think I am far more flexible now than when I was young. I have learned to go with the flow and accept change without stress because you can't avoid it. When we sold the city house and I was saying goodbye to a long time neighbor she said something about coming by to visit once in a while. Yeah, no, I probably won't. Don't intend to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, if anyone can write about change, it's you. You've had a seismic shift in your life this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm beginning to discover, and also seek change at this stage of my life. Retirement, downsizing, etc. I hope to not be static..and to live as stress-free as possible. that's my goal, anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right! Life is definitely change. But never so much as after the sixty mark. Let me get my pills . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just have to go with the flow! Your book club sounds interesting. I would like to be in one..but I would probably have to drive too far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. And I laughed at that second cartoon! Calvin and Hobbs, I wish I saw you every day like I once did. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, one of my go-to gifts when people are home recovering from something is a whole book of Calvin and Hobbes.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and I'd love to hear what you think.